Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Garden

Here is my square foot garden. I began planting in February. That's when you start in Florida. I planted broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, various lettuces, swiss chard, beets, spinac,h, chives, mint, oregano, thyme and green sweet peas.
At the end of March, I added 3 tomato plants, green beans and bell peppers, cilantro and basil.
I have 2 four foot square boxes and 2 two by four foot boxes. Three of the boxes have trellises on the north side for various climbing plants.

I just want you to see how tall stuff has grown! The trellis for the tomatoes was 6 feet tall.
The green beans were going crazy! They grew up and over the top and started back down! Unfortunately I didn't like the variety I planted and I haven't harvested it much. Next year I'll plant Kentucky green beans (I think that is the variety). I had them before and I really enjoyed their "beany flavor".

And here is a picture of some of the harvest.
I know I didn't mention growing the cucumbers and zucchini but I got them from my next door neighbor and gardening buddy and I'm sure I may have watered them once so I can count them in my harvest:). Besides I didn't ever get a picture of the sweet peas, spinach and lettuces that I had coming out my ears.

I really enjoy gardening. But now that it is getting HOT outside, I'm glad my season is over. I'll take a break until the end of Sept and then I'll be ready for another growing season!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, melinda your garden looks amazing!! It is nice to see pictures, now I don't have to imagine what your garden is like. A picture really is worth a 1000 words. Great post. I hope mine can be like that for the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice...way to go! Are the carrots small like that because...why? I've always wanted to plant carrots but...uh,...yeah, like...where? oooo I wish I could munch on all of it! I'd be your little pesky mole! (oh, I'd break through those boxes! yes I would!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW what a garden, I'm iompressed. love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. it really was a great looking garden... too bad it's all dead now.

    ReplyDelete